The regular season runs 18 weeks beginning the first full week of May and typically ending the first week of September. Each team plays at least one game per week on a Tuesday or a Thursday, but may play up to two games per week depending on the number of teams to be accommodated (this will be noted in specific schedule templates). Games start at either 7:00 pm or 8:45 pm and last approximately 90 minutes. Players are encouraged to arrive 30 minutes prior to game time to allow adequate time to set up (note: all players should familiarize themselves with proper base set up - First and Third bases are to be 60 feet from home plate with the outside of the base on the inside of the foul line, and Second base is 60 feet from both First and Third.), warm up and meet with the umpire prior to the game.
Schedule templates will be available for a varying number of teams and will be passed on to the President and Vice-President on a memory stick to choose from depending on numbers following registration. To ensure fairness, teams will be rotated in their scheduling position from year to year; for example, the team in the first scheduling spot one year will be moved to the second scheduling spot the year after and all other teams will shift forward accordingly with the team in the last scheduling spot moving up to the first spot. Schedules will be saved for 4 years before being deleted from the files for quick reference.
The schedule is to be completed within one week of the teams being finalized and distributed to team reps so they are able to share with their players. A copy of the schedule is to be posted on the website as soon as it is completed and is also to be sent to the current umpire association as well as any interested sponsors. A copy is also to be kept in the equipment box.
We DO play in the rain and every effort should be made to groom the field to a playable condition before cancelling a game. Tools for this purpose will be kept in one of the equipment boxes.
If it has been raining during the day prior to a game, the President or her designate will assess the condition of the field by 5:00 pm at the latest to determine if it is playable. A game will be called due to rain if there is standing water on the field that is not able to be raked and filled in with sand, or if there are slippery conditions in the outfield that would pose a risk to players, or if there is lightning present.
If it begins raining during a game, the game will be called at the discretion of the umpire calling that game. Team reps are encouraged to communicate any concerns noted regarding field safety to the umpire.
When a game is cancelled due to rain, the umpire association must be notified ASAP so they can contact the umpire scheduled to call the game, and the contact person at The Town of Whitby must also be notified so our permit for that time slot can be cancelled. It should be noted that just because an early game is cancelled it doesn't necessarily mean the late game needs to be cancelled as well; there will be times when is will be apparent that both games should be cancelled, however there will also be times when a second evaluation may be necessary.
There will be Rain Out dates built into the schedule to make rescheduling cancelled games easier. As soon as a game is cancelled due to rain or for any reason other than forfeit it should be moved to the first available Rain Out date and the team reps for that game should be notified of the new date; this should also be made note of on the schedule posted on the league website.
The Brooklin Ladies Fun Baseball League follows the standard Ontario Softball Rules (each team will have their own copy and a copy will also be kept in one of the equipment boxes for easy reference) and also has a list of rules specific to our league. The rules will be reviewed and accepted at the first pre-season planning meeting each year and then posted on the league website. Each team rep will receive a copy and a copy will also be kept in one of the equipment boxes for easy reference. Rules will not be amended during the course of regular season; if a rule is noted as needing review it will be discussed at the end of season meeting and changed (if agreed upon) for the following season.
Team stats/standings will be tracked by either the President or Vice-President and will be posted regularly on the league website. The team reps for the winning team will be responsible for notifying whoever is tracking the stats of the final score for their game by noon on the Friday of the week that game took place. Failure to do so will result in that game being listed as a tie.
Points will be awarded as follows: 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss.
At the end of the season all points will be tallied to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd places, etc. and will be used for scheduling the tournament. In the event of a tie in points between teams, the following process will be followed:
- Games head to head will be compared
- Runs for will be compared between the two teams
- Most wins in the league
- Run differential in the league will be compared (+/-)
- Coin Toss will take place in the event that none of the above works
The following documentation should be maintained and updated regularly:
- League Contact List: to be updated during pre-season planning meeting(s) and distributed to all members of the executive committee and a copy will be kept in the equipment box; will be passed on to President and Vice President on a memory stick; files should be kept for 4 years before being deleted.
- Team Lists: to be updated annually following registration (preferably during the first week of April) and distributed to team reps once finalized; teams will be organized as fairly as possible based on the self-rating system on the registration forms; files should be kept for 4 years before being deleted.
- Rules: to be updated annually and posted on league website; a copy will be sent to team reps, the umpire association, and a copy will be kept in the equipment box; will be passed on to President and Vice President on a memory stick; files should be kept for 4 years before being deleted.
- Schedule: to be updated as soon as possible once teams are completed; a copy is to be sent to team reps, the umpire association, and a copy will be kept in the equipment box; will be passed on to President and Vice President on a memory stick; files should be kept for 4 years before being deleted.
- Treasurer Documents: Banking Summary is to be kept up to date as deposits and purchases are made; Income Statement is to be completed at the close of the season and presented at the End of Season Meeting; Expense Reports are to be completed to detail purchases and receipts are to be attached; templates for these documents will be passed on to the treasurer on a memory stick and records should be kept for a period of 7 years.
- Equipment Inventories: to be updated at the beginning and end of the season and presented at the End of Season Meeting; a copy will be kept in the equipment box and any equipment added or discarded throughout the season should be noted on this form; will be passed on to President and Vice President on a memory stick; files should be kept for 4 years before being deleted.
- Field Renewal Form: to be completed and submitted to The Town of Whitby annually in January; will be passed on to President and Vice President on a memory stick; files should be kept for 4 years before being deleted.
- Certificate of Insurance Town of Whitby: this form will be sent to the President by the contact at The Town of Whitby and is to be forwarded to the contact at SPO to complete before returning to the contact at The Town of Whitby along with the Insurance Certificate that is provided by SPO; these two forms are both necessary for the Field Permit to be issued.
- Field Permit: will be issued by The Town of Whitby once insurance forms have been submitted; this is an invoice, but will change due to rain games so it is recommended that only half the fee is paid at the beginning of the season and the remaining fee is paid towards the end of the season; this will need to be updated and reviewed with each change; a copy should be kept in the equipment box will be passed on to President and Vice President on a memory stick; files should be kept for 4 years before being deleted.
- Insurance Claim Forms: at least 3 copies will be kept in the equipment box and should be replaced as they are used; will be passed on to President and Vice President on a memory stick; files should be kept for 4 years before being deleted.
- Score Books: each team will have their own score book and be responsible to ensure the score for each game is kept accurately and reported for tracking stats; homeruns for each players who gets one must also be tracked throughout the season and reported to the person tracking stats at the end of the season; reps are responsible for ensuring that umpires sign their score book at the end of each game.
Substitute Player List
At the beginning of the season a list will be complied of all players who wish to be on the substitute player list and a member of the executive committee will be designated to manage the implementation of this list. As soon as team reps become aware that they will be in need of substitute players, they are to notify the individual managing the list. That individual will send out an email to all players on the list with the details of who is needed and for when. Players will be placed in sub positions in the order in which they respond and the team rep(s) in need will then be notified who will be covering. If a substitute player hits a homerun while playing for another team, the team reps for that team should make note of it in their score book to be passed along with the stats at the end of the season. If the substitute players are no longer needed for any reason, the team reps who requested the substitutes may contact them directly if their contact information is available, but if not they must ask the sub list manager to do so as soon as possible.
A game will be considered a forfeit if a team does not have at least 8 players to play at game time. If this situation occurs the "winning" team will be awarded their 2 points for the win and 7 runs.